Thursday, October 18, 2007

Yay Portland, Maine! Boo Bush & Orr!!!

If this hadn't passed, it may have been the final straw for my sanity.



This week has been a little les than cheerful on the reproductive rights front, with Bush appointing Dr. Susan Orr as the head of the Department of Health and Human Services family planning program.

According to Orr, contraception is part of a culture of death.


"It's not about choice. It's not about health care. It's about making everyone
collaborators with the culture of death."


Thank you, George Bush for providing this fucking nutcase with a platform. How the hell are these things ok? The last time I checked, abstinence is not part of my or any of my friend's', or anyone I know's "family planning strategies". To those who choose abstinence, cool. But the key word is CHOOSE. I am just so angry.



But, back to my original point, middle school students in Portland, Maine now have access to contraceptives without parental notification! And STD counselling!! All at a convenient, on-site medical clinic.

And then, there is Kansas.

No comments: