Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Some of My Favorites

Just a short (and incomplete) list of some of my favorite people (that I don't know personally).

Kathleen Hanna: Front woman of riot grrrl band Bikini Kill and member of Le Tigre, another awesome feminist band.

"I don't need to convince men that feminism is important, that just isn't a goal of mine. I can't even have that conversation, of whether or not it's important, because if someone asks me that they're my mortal enemy and I don't want to have a conversation with them until they grow up."


Margaret Atwood: Brilliant writer of works such as The Edible Woman, Oryx and Crake and The Blind Assassin. Also one of the first authors my mum and I could agree on

"We still think of a powerful man as a born leader and a powerful woman as an anomaly."




Patti Smith: Basically just about the the most awesome singer/songwriter/badass ever. Even if she doesn't usually call herself a feminist, she has certainly help others identify as such.

"Let's just say that I think any person who aspires, presumes, or feels the calling to be an artist has a built-in sense of duty."





Dorothy Parker: Despite all Mrs. Parker's (and I say Mrs. because that was how she liked it) faults, she wore her sexuality on her sleeve, talked shit to those who disrespected her and somehow managed to outlive ( and out-talk) almost all the members of the Vicious Circle.

"Men don't like nobility in woman. Not any men. I suppose it is because the men like to have the copyrights on nobility -- if there is going to be anything like that in a relationship."
There are so many more. Maybe this will be a weekly column.

No comments: